Friday, May 25, 2012

Letting go


Don’t be afraid to let go…

A work in progress, my manuscript started with 2,841 words in chapter one. Now, after many reworks and lots of editing, chapter one has 1,111 words! I slashed, I flashed and I let go! It is difficult because we invent these stories, forming these words, becoming part of our memory, with a life of its own. We remember the momentum of writing those words, and the pleasure we derive. Now we have to look closer, rearrange, and we have to get rid of words blocking the true story. We are sentimental, but need to let go of the words that are not important any longer. They were part of the process, but no longer part of the flow. This same sentiment echoes other parts in our lives too.

Don’t be afraid to let go…

Free yourself from the norms that everyone expects of you. Many of us parade in the roles presumed, not necessarily who we want to be, but who we are expected to be. Conforming to who our social networks think we should be. Letting go of preconceived ideas is dangerous. Others may judge, you may question yourself too. One needs to accept their response, while accepting yourself. It is a price that can sometimes be cruel.

Don’t be afraid to let go…

As a parent this is extremely difficult. We watch our babies grow. We nurture them, sing to them, read to them and talk with them. In front of our eyes they grow into their own person. As a parent we need to take that last step. We can’t be afraid to let go! Part of us may never really let go, we have our memories. We need to let them be themselves – not who we want them to be. This is so difficult and takes lots of practice, and defining of lines. The ultimate goal is for the child to be a happy adult – a person who can be free to be themselves.

Now I begin another day…

This is the only part of the entire world that I can control. I create and then I need to look at my work, and let go. I need to be able to see the words impartially, let the story take its own life, and I must act as the facilitator rather than the ultimate and egotistical creator.

I cannot be afraid to let go…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad to hear from you.
Please leave your comment - thank you.